A fight between Gegard Mousasi and Thiago Santos has been scheduled to take place at UFC 200 next month after Derek Brunson withdrew from the event.

Brunson was forced to pull out of the Mousasi bout due to trouble with his eye, but the UFC has made a swift move to find his replacement in Brazilian fighter Santos.

North Carolina fighter Brunson revealed on Facebook that he will not be at UFC 200 on July 9 as he had lasik (PRK) four years ago and although he thought at first that just a touch up would be required, it has turned out that further checks have revealed more substantial damage.

He said that he cannot recall being hit in the eye during training but his vision has been blurred and seeing double for nearly two weeks.

Brunson said he was extremely disappointed at not being able to fight given he has been in training for the bout for four months, before insisting that he will look for positives from the situation.

He has won his last four fights in succession, leaving him with a UFC record of 6-1 and is ranked 11 in the UFC rankings.

Brunson added that he is hopeful that his vision will soon be back to normal and then he hopes to make his come back against Mousasi, Santos, Benson Henderson or Vitor Belfort.

As for the historic UFC 200 show, Santos will now step in on just three weeks notice on the back of a four fight winning streak in the promotion.

The 32 year old saw off Steve Bosse and Andy Enz before coming through the arguably tougher tests of Elias Thepdorou and most recently Nate Marquardt, who he defeated with a first round knock out at UFC 198 last month.

The number 15 ranked middleweight will now come up against Gegard Mousasi who is ranked eighth in the division.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 Trackback